Professor Allan Pack
Dr. Pack is pursuing research on genetics/genomics of sleep apnea. His laboratory is conducting studies in Drosophila and mice and translating these findings to humans. To study the genetics of sleep apnea, he has initiated a linkage/association study in Iceland in collaboration with Dr. Thorarinn Gislason (University of Iceland) and Dr. Kari Stefansson (deCODE Genetics). A particular focus of Dr. Pack’s work is to evaluate whether there are genetic determinants to outcomes of sleep apnea, in particular, sleepiness. Studies are ongoing to evaluate molecular mechanisms of sleepiness and sleep promotion using both hypothesis-driven and discovery science. Techniques being used include behavioral/sleep studies in Drosophila and mice, RT-PCR, Western analysis of protein, expression profiling, laser microcapture dissection, and immunohistochemistry. Dr. Pack is committed to research training and directs two training grants from the National Institutes of Health.
Current research interests
Genetics/genomics of sleep apnea, molecular mechanisms of sleepiness and sleep promotion
- Arnardottir, E.S., Mackiewicz, M., Gislason, T., Teff, K.L. and Pack, A.I.: Molecular signatures of obstructive sleep apnea in adults: a review and perspective. Sleep 32(4): 447-470, 2009.
- Mackiewicz, M., Zimmerman, J.E., Shockley, K.R., Churchill, G.A., and Pack, A.I.: What are microarrays teaching us about sleep? Trends in Molecular Medicine 15(2): 79-87, 2009.
- Brennick, M.J., Pack, A.I., Ko, K., Kim, E., Pickup, S., Maislin, G., and Schwab, R.J.: Altered upper airway and soft tissue structures in the New Zealand obese mouse. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 179: 158-169, 2009.
- Pack, A.I. and Gislason, T.: Obstructive sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease: a perspective and future directions. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases 51(5): 434-451, 2009.
- Trojanowski, J.Q., Hendricks, J.C., Jedrziewski, K., Johnson, F.B., Michel, K.E., Hess, R.S., Cancro, M.P., Sleeper, M.M., Pignolo, R., Teff, K.L., Aguirre, G.D., Lee, V.M-Y., Lawler, D.F., Pack, A.I., Davies, P.F.: Exploring human/animal intersections: converging lines of evidence in comparative models of aging. Alzheimer's & Dementia 4: 1-5, 2008.
- Scharf, M.T., Mackiewicz, M., Naidoo, N., O'Callaghan, J.P., Pack, A.I.: AMP-activated protein kinase phosphorylation in brain is dependent on method of killing and tissue preparation. Journal of Neurochemistry 105(3): 833-841, 2008.
- Raizen, D.M., Zimmerman, J.E., Maycock, M.H., Ta, U.D., You, Y., Sundaram, M.V., Pack, A.I.: Lethargus is a C. elegans sleep-like state. Nature 451(7178): 569-572, 2008.
- Gurubhagavatula, I., Nkwuo, J.E., Maislin, G., Pack, A.I.: Estimated cost of crashes in commercial drivers supports screening and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. Accident Analysis and Prevention 40: 104-115, 2008.
- Scharf, M.T., Naidoo, N., Zimmerman, J.E., and Pack, A.I.: The energy hypothesis of sleep revisited. Progress in Neurobiology 86(3): 264-280, 2008.